Port of Jaffaميناء يافا

Port of Jaffa

Ottoman Period (1516—1917)

Source: Empire Marketing Board advertisement for Jaffa oranges
Embroidery: Hadeel Abu-Rabia', Drejat, Naqab
Size: 59 x 158 cm

Jaffa oranges were cultivated by Palestinian farmers from the mid-19th century, and take their name from the port city of Jaffa. Mention of Jaffa oranges being exported to Europe first appears in British consular reports in the 1850s.

Further viewing