Haram Ash Sharif (Noble Sanctuary)الحرم الشريف

Haram Ash Sharif (Noble Sanctuary)

Early Islamic Period (640—1099 CE)

Sketch: Razan Hassouna [Gaza], Gaza
Embroidery: Iman Shehaby [Tabariyeh], Ain al-Hilweh, Lebanon
Size: 59 x 96 cm

The Haram Ash Sharif (Noble Sanctuary) contains the Al-Aqsa Mosque – the third holiest site in Islam – and the Dome of the Rock.  The latter was initially completed in 691 CE at the order of Umayyad Caliph Abd al-Malik. It was built on the site of the Roman temple of Jupiter Capitolinus, which had in turn been built on the site of the Second Jewish Temple, destroyed during the Roman siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE.

Further viewing